The quarter is winding down, and although there are still some considerable hurdles that I need to clear (1 project, 2-3 presentations, 2 HW assignments, 3 finals), I am thinking more and more about the summer ahead. I alternate between excitement and nervousness about the upcoming internship.

On the one hand, I’m really excited about the chance to get back into a work environment to do something that doesn’t start and end at the Jake (Jacobs). My only professional experience so far has been at IBM, and I want to find out if I can do well in a different industry/career/role or if my past success was a fluke.

On the other hand, I am a bit nervous about the potential pitfalls.  In particular, what if I end up sucking at the work; like no matter how hard I try, I am just not cut out for it.  That would be a bummer.  Or what if I end up hating the work in general? It’s one thing to read about it and hear about it second-hand, but it’s another thing to actually do it.  Fortunately, all of the BCG folks that I’ve met so far have been amazingly helpful, down-to-earth, and friendly, so I am fairly certain the work environment will be great.

The way I see it, my summer experience can end in 1 of 4 ways:
<ol><li>I like the work, and I get a job offer. That would be great!</li><li>I like the work, but I don’t get job offer.  Total bummer, but at least I have some insight going into full-time recruiting to help me direct the job hunt. In this scenario, I also revisit my original “essay” answer on post-Kellogg career objectives, because I still find myself drawn to those goals as well.</li><li>I don’t like the work, and I get a job offer.  This is a tough situation, and it’s really hard to predict how I would handle it.</li><li>I don’t like the work, and I don’t get a job offer.  It sucks that things didn’t work out, but at least I walk away knowing that consulting isn’t for me.  Then I definitely revisit the essay answer and go from there.</li></ol>I’ve conveniently summarized the four scenarios along with a conservative assumption that each one is equally likely to happen.

<div align="center"><table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr align="center"> <th align="left" width="110">Like the work</th> <td bgcolor="#9bf9bd" width="40">Yes</td> <td width="40">Yes</td> <td bgcolor="#9bf9bd" width="40">No</td> <td width="40">No</td> </tr><tr align="center"> <th style="text-align: left;">Get a job offer</th> <td bgcolor="#9bf9bd">Yes</td> <td>No</td> <td bgcolor="#9bf9bd">Yes</td> <td>No</td> </tr><tr align="center"> <th align="left">Desirability</th><td bgcolor="#9bf9bd">:)</td><td>:(</td><td bgcolor="#9bf9bd">:
</td><td>:)</td></tr><tr align="center"> <th align="left">Probability</th><td bgcolor="#9bf9bd">25%</td><td>25%</td><td bgcolor="#9bf9bd">25%</td><td>25%</td></tr></tbody> </table></div>
As you can see, I have a 50% chance of happy face, a 25% chance of indifferent face, and a 25% chance of sad face….so clearly the odds are in my favor!

I’m sure I’ll have plenty of more time to think about this in the 5 day period between my last final and my first day on the job, but for now, I have to pack and wrap up some HW for the week.
<p>